Who we are
The Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) program focuses on preventing new infections. We strive to educate and inform the community and serve as a resource for providers in our area.
What we do
STDs, such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis can have bad health consequences, especially for women. STDs can also have serious ill effects for both a pregnant mother and her developing baby. Left untreated, STDs can cause: increased risk of giving or getting HIV; long-term pelvic/abdominal pain; inability to get pregnant or pregnancy complications.
The STD program within Public Health focuses on monitoring, investigating and educating the community on prevention methods and ways to decrease STDs in Stanislaus County.
Spotlight on congenital syphilis
Untreated syphilis can be transmitted from mother to child in utero, leading to congenital syphilis, which can cause severe illness, including death. Since 2012, there has a been a dramatic increase in congenital syphilis in California, and in particular, the San Joaquin Valley region. Stanislaus County has also been greatly impacted by increasing syphilis and congenital syphilis in the community.
What We Offer
- Syphilis Treatment (by referral only)
- Technical Assistance to providers in the community
- Education and outreach presentations
Syphilis treatment is done by appointment with a provider referral.
Technical Assistance is available Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Education and outreach presentations are done by appointment by calling or sending us an email.
- California Department of Public Health - STD Control Branch
Let your partner know they should get tested https://tellyourpartner.org/
Primary Care Provider (your primary care Doctor)
- McHenry Medical Office (MMO) 1209 Woodrow Ave., Modesto 209-558-5312 http://www.schsa.org/clinics/
- Paradise Medical Office (PMO) 401 Paradise Rd., Modesto 209-558-7000 http://www.schsa.org/clinics/
- FPA Women’s Health https://www.fpawomenshealth.com/locations/modesto-ca/
- Planned Parenthood https://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center
California Department of Public Health STD Control Branch
STD Testing Sites
Other Testing Sites
For patients who need complete STI screenings including HIV, it is best to talk to your primary care physician. Other testing sites in our community that can also provide full screening include:
For clinical questions, enter your consult online at the STD Clinical Consultation Network https://www.stdccn.org/
Surveillance Data 2018
Click here for HIV resources.